I was fortunate to hear an interview of Dr Kristi Funk, well known breast surgeon and author of the book, Breasts: The Owner’s Manual, when she spoke at the Food Revolution Summit. I usually only share summaries of my notes from such things on our daily Facebook lives and type them up for members of the Whole Food Muscle Club (which I will be doing with these as well).
Because this is such an important topic and breast cancer touches too many lives, I’ve decided to share a few of the key takeaways in this post. If you’d like to watch the Facebook live where I went through my notes you can do so here: https://www.facebook.com/RnRJourneyToHealth/videos/2224042201227320/
Please be aware that some of the points here are direct quotes and some are my interpretation of what Dr Funk said. As with any handwritten notes during a lecture, some leeway must be given for brevity’s sake. If you want more information on the specifics and the science, I would highly encourage you to read Dr Funk’s book.
A partial list of the points from my notes:
- Women make choices every day that either move them towards or away from getting breast cancer
- Most people believe – falsely – that breast cancer is completely in the hands of genetics or fate.
- Not so. Only 5-10% of breast cancer can be blamed on genetic mutation. The rest is environment (what you eat/breathe/are exposed to)
- 87% of women diagnosed with breast cancer don’t have a first degree relative who had it
- We have choices: most easily through diet and nutrition, alcohol consumption, exercising, not smoking, maintaining a healthy weight, managing stress, hormone replacement and avoiding environmental toxicity
- You can’t expect to live on the edges of the bell curve. That’s like taking a gun with room for ten bullets, loading it with eight and thinking it’s safe to play with. In breast cancer, those eight bullets can be controlled by lifestyle choices
- 77% of women believe there is nothing they can do with their diet to reduce their risk of breast cancer - - this is FALSE!
- What do you think your cells use to run and replicate other than the food you eat? It’s not magic
- Cancer can “crosstalk” to other cells to make you a better host for it to grow. Eating plant-based turns down that ability to hijack your system
- 2-3 servings of whole-soy (edamame and tempeh) can DECREASE your risk of first-time breast cancer by 60% and if you have already had breast cancer you will reduce your risk of recurrence by 32%
- Soy and broccoli are two of the most healthful foods you can eat to fight breast cancer
- Berries also quiet the crosstalk from cancer cells, causes them to explode (apoptosis) and keeps the blood vessels that cancer needs to live from growing
- The lack of nutritional education in medical school makes doctors believe that nutrition doesn’t matter. Patients MUST be their own advocate and researcher when it comes to nutrition
- ALL animal protein and ALL animal fat are hugely detrimental to human cells. It actively PROMOTES illness.
- One drink of alcohol a day increases your risk of breast cancer by 10%.
- Two drinks a day Ꙟ risk 20%
- Three drinks a day Ꙟ risk by 40%
- You can add 10% risk for every drink thereafter
- The safest amount of alcohol to consume for breast health is zero
- Tight bras have nothing to do with breast cancer risk
Don't wait to get a scary diagnoses to move towards a plant-based lifestyle. Not sure where to start? We offer several support options. Email us at Health@RnRJourney.com to discuss what would best get you on the path to better health.
Dr Robyn is a former competitive volleyball player turned psychologist with continuing education in nutrition. Russ is a former competitive bodybuilder and trainer on the Mr. Olympia Tour. They are the co-founders of Whole Food Muscle and the authors of How to Feed a Human The Whole Food Muscle Way. To work with them one on one to improve your health and fitness or to have them speak at your event or organization email them at Health@RnRJourney.com.